Your customers have changed and the way they research your products is not the same as it was 20 years ago. Today’s shoppers are savvy and do much of their research online before they come in store. Retailers need to be in front of buyers whenever they are online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
There are tons of other brands, retailers, websites and social media all vying for your customer’s attention. How do you stand out among all this noise? You can reach new customers with “Evergreen” digital marketing campaigns.
I know digital marketing sounds complex, but guess what? You don’t need special skills to start using the Internet to your benefit. However, you do need to understand your local digital marketing opportunity and how to reach shoppers with the right messages at the right time.
What do we mean by “Evergreen Marketing?”
Evergreen marketing relates to marketing campaigns (and in this case online marketing campaigns) that are on-going and seek to provide your store with new sources of customers and sales. These types of campaigns have virtually no expiration date and are not time specific (i.e. special sales around a holiday such as Black Friday). True evergreen campaigns are based on value, not promotions or pricing.
How do you get started with Evergreen Marketing?
Before you decide which channels to advertise on, it is important to know who your customers are and how they shop for your products. By having this information, you can easily tailor you messaging and determine the best channel to invest your marketing dollars. Use our persona worksheet to get started.
Once you have determined your customer personas, kick off your campaigns on the appropriate digital channels. There are many to choose from, but here are a few to get you started:
Search Engine Marketing
There are more than 3.5 Billion Google searches per day and where you show up in the search results is important. In fact, Google says that 85% of ad clicks occur in the top three positions. This type of advertising allows you to create tailored marketing messages that drive action from customers.
The display network spans over 2 million websites and reaches 90% of Internet users. This very visual ad can help you reach people in your local market while they’re browsing their favorite websites, checking the weather, showing a friend a video, checking their Gmail account, or using mobile sites and apps.
Right now Facebook Advertising is one of the most cost-effective media channels. With more than 75% of Americans using the social media platform and 150 different data points to target on, you are sure to get your ads in front of the right audience. Netsertive clients are seeing their Cost Per Click (CPC) on their ads as low as $1.20 compared to the $11 industry average. Less than 10% of home goods stores are leveraging this channel making it a great time to get started.
Video has surpassed television, newspapers, and magazines with regards to consumer influence. In 2016, 68% of consumers watched videos during their path to purchase, and most say it had an influence on what to buy and who to buy it from. Digital video provides a great, innovative opportunity to tell your customers who you are, what you offer and why they should choose your store over a competitor.
If you are running the same ad creative with the same message month after month, you may start to see ad fatigue in which your click-through-rate and quality score (Google's rating of the quality and relevance of both your keywords and Pay-Per-Click ads) begin to decline. Here are some recommendations to avoid this pitfall:
• Adjust based on seasonality. You wouldn’t want to advertise for outdoor furniture sets when it is freezing outside in December. A good rule of thumb is to update your ad copy when what you are selling changes.
• Make sure your search ads do not look exactly like everyone else’s. When this happens, consumers tend to tune out from all the ads because nothing is grabbing their attention. Include copy that is unique to your business and highlight what sets you apart. For example, if you offer free delivery or furniture/mattress removal.
• If possible, A/B test all of your ads and as you see one start to perform better than the other, revise the messaging for the underperforming ad. Review the performance of your ads every couple of weeks.
Don’t forget to measure your results! Our mattress, furniture and appliance clients have reported an 8-40% increase in overall sales after investing in digital marketing. Here is a list of the top 6 metrics you should look at on a monthly basis to measure the success of your online campaigns:
• Impressions – How many times were your ads seen over a month?
• Geography – Where geographic areas are your ads running?
• Click Through Rate – How many people clicked on the ad?
• Average Ad Position – In a Google or Bing search result page, where does your ad show up?
• Campaign Adjustments – In a month, how many times were your campaigns optimized to perform as
• Conversions – Once someone clicked on an ad, how many took a specific action such as a form fill, called your store or downloaded a coupon?
Make 2018 your best year yet! By following this outline, you are sure to not only get more exposure online but acquire new customers and close more business. Contact Netsertive today, for a free 15-minute consultation to review your current digital marketing strategy.